Trefdraeth - St Beuno’s Church
This is one of several churches in North Wales dedicated to St. Beuno. He was born in the late 6th century in Powys, and later founded a monastery at Clynnog Fawr on the Llŷn peninsula, where he died in 640 AD. The church there bears his name, as does the one in Aberffraw.
According to the 19th century historian Angharad Llwyd, a church was first founded here in 616. The current building dates back to the 13th century, when the nave and chancel were built. These were originally separated by an arch, but that was moved to the south chapel when it was built several decades later. The bellcote, with a single bell, was also added in the 14th century.
Most of the windows and doorways date from the 15th century, as does the porch to the south. It was reroofed in 1728. Repairs of the church were carried out in 1846, and a full restoration was done in 1854 by Henry Kennedy, who worked on many churches in the diocese of Bangor..
In the porch, to either side of the doorway, are slate plaques listing the names of those who had donated money to benefit the poor of the parish in 1761 and 1766, along with the amounts each gave. Inside are a 12th century baptismal font and a number of memorials from the 17th and 18th centuries.
The church is found in a peaceful rural setting and was described by Angharad Llwyd as "a small neat edifice", with "an east window of modern date and of good design". It is set on high ground bordering Malltraeth Marsh and the Cefni river, with magnificent views over Malltraeth Bay and the mountains of Snowdonia and the Llŷn.
This quiet parish was the site of a huge controversy in the 18th century when a non-Welsh speaking priest was appointed. Read more about it on the page about St. Cwyfan's church, which was a chapelry of this parish..
Return to Churches and Chapels of Anglesey
View Churches and Chapels of Anglesey in a larger map