Llanfigael - St. Figael's Church
This church, one of four on Anglesey owned by the Friends of Friendless Churches, is an excellent example of a late Georgian church, untouched by the usual late Victorian refurbishments found in most old churches on the Island.
It is a simple rectangular building, with no division between the chancel and nave. A church was recorded in this parish as early as 1254, when it was mentioned in the Norwich Taxation, a survey of church properties throughout England and Wales. The previous medieval church had fallen into ruin by the late 18th century, but by 1841 it had been completely rebuilt, probably on the old foundations.
The interior is very austere and plain. The east end of the church is filled with box pews around the alter, for use by the richer parishioners, while the rest of the church is filled with simple backless benches with paddle-shaped end boards. An unusual feature is the combined pulpit and reading desk on the north wall, with the desk at a lower level
Other features in the church include a bell-cote containing a bell dated 1642, with the inscription "God save this church". Next to the door are three baptismal fonts. An octagonal one, which probably dates from the 14th century, is most likely the original one and the only one mentioned in An Inventory of the Ancient Monuments in Anglesey in 1937. Near it is another stone font dated from the 12th century, moved here from the church of St Ynghenedl in nearby Llanynghenedl. Between them is an unusual wooden portable font, probably from the 19th century and designed to be taken to the homes of the ill or infirm.
Towards the end of the 20th century the church had again become redundant and at risk of decay. A local retired vicar and school teacher, Rev. Edgar Jones, took it under his wing and maintained it against the sometimes harsh west Anglesey weather. He eventually negotiated between the Friends of Friendless Churches, CADW and the Church in Wales for the Friends to take it on under a 999 year lease in 2007. Sympathetic restoration took place and the church was reopened in 2009. Sadly, Rev. Jones died shortly before the work was finished. He is buried just outside the east wall.
Return to Churches and Chapels of Anglesey
View Churches and Chapels of Anglesey in a larger map